I’ve done rotoscoping for projects before and I know how time consuming it can be. I’d heard a lot about After Effects new rotoscopting brush but I hadn’t hadÂ a chance to try it until I was provided a set of boards that featured talent on location walking in front of 3D text. Sounds simple enough just labor intensive. It was easy enough to cut out the talent from the background. The new tool set worked wonders and saved me a lot of frustration although it increases render times dramatically. I did run in to an issue where I couldn’t get the fine details of the talent’s hands to come across. I wasn’t really down for animating each finger separately but then I have a stroke of genius. Since the digits were over a dark background I used the simple luma key tool to clean up the edge and voila here is the finished spot. You can see the before and after here.
I used an adjustment layer to house the luma key so I didn’t have to fight breaking the comp up in to a dozen pieces